Changing a package travel arrangement
The travel operator can change your package travel arrangement or increase the price, even after written confirmation of the agreement. What can you do in the following situations?
- Changes are made to your package travel arrangement.
- The cost of the package travel arrangement is changed.
Before you leave, the travel operator can only change the package travel arrangement providing:
- it is stipulated in the agreement,
- it relates to a minor change, and
- they inform you in a clear and understandable manner in writing or by e-mail.
Have these three conditions been met? If so, you cannot contest the change.
Has the travel operator made a significant change to (one of) the main characteristics of your package travel arrangement? If so, they must notify you as soon as possible by e-mail or in writing. In that case you can:
- accept the change, or
- cancel the package travel arrangement free of charge.
The travel operator must also stipulate:
- how much time you have to respond, and
- that the package travel arrangement will be cancelled if you don’t respond.
Is the new travel arrangement not of the same quality? If so, you are entitled to an appropriate reduction in price.
Have you decided to cancel? If so, the travel operator must refund you within fourteen days. You are also entitled to receive appropriate compensation, except when the change is due to Force Majeure.
Once the package travel arrangement has been confirmed, the price can only be increased:
- as a result of currency fluctuations, the cost of fuel or taxes or fees imposed by third parties;
- providing the change in price does not exceed 8% of the total cost;
- providing you were notified at least 20 days before the start of the travel arrangement.
Is the price increase in excess of 8%? If so, you can cancel your package travel arrangement free of charge and you are entitled to receive compensation.