What ECC-Net can do for you
Help and Advice for cross-border issues in the EU, Iceland, Norway and the United Kingdom
Our mandate is to deliver free information, advice and assistance on cross-border shopping in the EU, Iceland, Norway and the United Kingdom.
- Advise you on consumer rights for shopping and travel under EU and national law;
- Give practical tips to help you save money and avoid problems;
- Help you with a complaint against a trader based in another EU country, Iceland, Norway or the United Kingdom for purchases made abroad – physically or online;
- Engage with the trader in order to try to resolve the problem;
- Advise you on further action if an amicable solution is not possible, such as out-of-court settlements, the European Small Claims’ procedure, or other legal action;
- Help you find a suitable organisation to handle your case if it needs to be taken further.
- Force traders to act. We rely on persuasion which works in at least half of the cases;
- Act as your legal representative;
- Handle your complaint if one of the involved parties is outside of the EU, Norway, Iceland and the United Kingdom.
The most frequent issues that ECC-Net deal with:
- Online shopping, covering cooling-off periods, delivery times, clear information and the 2-year legal guarantee;
- Buying goods and services including the 2-year guarantee, rights to repairs, replacements and refunds and the non-discrimination principle;
- Air passenger rights related to cancellations, delays and related assistance, denial of boarding and lost or damaged luggage;
- Package travel rights to information, to transfer a package to someone else, to a guaranteed price, and to choose an alternative package or a refund if the content changes;
- Car rental problems such as unclear information on prices and costs of optional extras, and unfair contract terms;
- Timeshares/holiday clubs, including the right to receive all relevant information before signing a contract, cooling-off periods and related payment rules.
Since 2018, the ECC-Net has a Quality Charter. Read about our commitment and what you can expect from us.