Cancelling your package travel arrangement
Unexpected circumstances may occur as a result of which you are no longer able to travel. Your rights vary depending on:
You can cancel the package travel agreement at any time before your departure. The travel operator is entitled to claim reasonable cancellation charges. There are two types of charges:
- standard: the travel operator determines amounts in advance depending on the time of cancellation.
- ·non-standard: in such cases the amount of the cancellation charge is the same as the cost of the package travel arrangement minus cost savings and income resulting from the alternative use of the travel services. You are always entitled to request your travel operator to substantiate this charge.
Good to know: Are there unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances at your destination or in the immediate vicinity? And do they have a major impact on your package travel arrangement or transport to the destination? If so, you won’t have to pay cancellation charges. The travel operator will refund you in full within fourteen days, but you cannot claim additional compensation.
The tour operator can cancel the package travel arrangement in two instances:
- the number of participants in the trip is below the minimum number stated in the agreement. The travel operator must notify you of the cancellation:
- 20 days prior to departure for travel in excess of 6 days
- 7 days prior to departure for travel between 2 and 6 days
- 48 hours prior to departure for travel involving less than 2 days;
- if the travel operator cannot honour the package travel arrangement due to unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances. The travel operator must notify you of the cancellation before the start of the trip.
The travel operator must refund you in full within fourteen days of the cancellation of the package travel agreement and you cannot claim additional compensation.
Has your travel operator cancelled your package travel arrangement for another reason? If so, you can claim compensation in addition to the refund of your package travel arrangement.