Paying for internet purchases
Just a few clicks and it is all done and dusted? Indeed, buying something online and paying for it via the internet is easy and super fast.
Unfortunately it is not always without risk. ECC Belgium explains how you can pay on the internet safely and with confidence.
Choose safe online payment options
The most popular online payment methods are credit card and bank transfer, but both methods have pros and cons:
- Bank transfer: you are safe in the knowledge that only the authorised amount will be deducted from your account. However, this method does not offer any possibility for reimbursement in the event of non delivery of your products or if the seller goes bankrupt.
- Credit card: technically, if you provide the seller with your credit card number they could make further charges. Fortunately you are protected against this type of misuse with the charge back procedure.
You are asked to pay via money transfer? Refuse! This payment method is frequently used by fraudsters as it is unsecured.
Irrespective of which payment options you are provided with, always be vigilant and only confirm payment when you are certain that it is safe to do so!
Also refer to our "Paying by internet" brochure.
Paying via the internet: take care
Although the internet provides access to a multitude of bona fide traders and interesting offers, it is also a playground for fraudsters. Never be tempted by an offer that seems too good to be true. Take into account the following tips:
- Don't choose an easy code for your bank card.
- Don’t keep your pin code with your card.
- Install effective antivirus software and update it regularly.
- An offer that seems to good to be true? That’s what it usually is!
- Ignore spam e-mails that ask for a bank account number or code, even if it appears trustworthy and/or appears to originate from an organisation you are familiar with.
- Buy from safe websites, with a web address preceded by 'https' (with 's' for secure) instead of 'http', or with a logo with a padlock icon.
Also check other recommendations from ECC Belgium concerning safe payments from and to European countries.