Car breakdown in France

If your car breaks down on a French motorway or dual carriageway or you are involved in an accident, you should use a roadside emergency telephone to call the emergency services. If you cannot find a roadside emergency telephone, call 112.

A recognised breakdown service or recovery service will then be sent to your location. The rates are fixed and vary depending on the circumstances (day/night, week/weekend, on site /roadside parking etc.).

The minimum rate is € 121.18 (11/10/2013) and comprises recovery and rescue services on motorways and dual carriageways of vehicles up to 1.8 tonnes. A full list of rates can be found on the website of ASFA (Association Professionnelle des Sociétés Françaises Concessionnaires ou Exploitantes d'Autoroutes ou d'Ouvrages Routiers).