Driving a foreign car in Belgium

You live abroad

If you live abroad and want to drive your car to Belgium, you are allowed to do so provided your car has registration plates issued by another European country or by a country with which it has an agreement on traffic matters.

You live in Belgium

If you live in Belgium and you intend to drive a vehicle registered abroad, this is basically not allowed. There are a number of exceptions.

Anyone living in Belgium who wishes to drive on the public road in Belgium must register the vehicle in Belgium, even if it has already been registered abroad. There are a number of exceptions to this rule:

  • If you live in Belgium and you borrow a vehicle which is registered abroad, you are allowed to drive it for a period of one month at the most. In that case, you must keep a written authorisation of the foreign owner in the car. The owner must state in this document that he has lent the car free of charge, for an agreed period, with end date. 
  • If you are a student living abroad, but temporarily staying in Belgium for your studies at a Belgian school or university, you must keep the valid certificate of registration as a student in the car for the actual duration of your studies.

LowEmission Zones in Belgium


Antwerp is a Low Emission Zone (LEZ). Only cars which comply with certain environmental requirements are admitted in the city centre and a part of Linkeroever. This is applicable for cars registered in Belgium and elsewhere. Check here if your car complies.

Does your car comply with the requirements but it is not registered in Belgium? You should register. If you fail to do so, you may have to pay a 150 euro fine. Registration isn't required for vehicles registered in the Netherlands.


The low emission zone will be introduced gradually until 2025. The old diesel cars are banned from 1 January 2018. As of January 1, 2019, old petrol cars and diesel cars from Euro 2 standard are also banned. You can check the extend of the Brussels LEZ zone and whether your vehicle complies on Lez.brussels. Does your car comply but is it registered abroad? You must register before your visit. If you fail to do so, you may have to pay a 350 euro fine.

Your car doesn't comply?

Your car doesn’t meet the access criteria? An exception is made up to eight times a year, provided that you purchase a day pass for 35 euros for Antwerp or Brussels.

Good to know: Make sure you only buy your day pass on the official websites. Day passes offered on other websites are not valid.